About FLAS

The University of Kansas currently offers advanced online and traditional language programs in Haitian Creole, Miskito, Portuguese, and Spanish. Online language programs in Bri Bri, Guaraní, Kakchiqel, K’iche’ Maya, Quechua, and Tlapenec are not currently offered, but are in development (inquire for more details).

CLACS currently awards FLAS fellowships to students studying: Portuguese, Haitian Creole, and Miskito; students may also submit applications to be considered (with special permission) for FLAS fellowships in the less-commonly-taught languages currently under development (Quechua, Kakchiqel, K’iche’ Maya, Tlapenec) or in indigenous Latin American languages with programs identified at other institutions as well as in advanced Spanish. 


FLAS fellowships are sometimes available for graduate students that qualify to enroll in intermediate or advanced Spanish at the beginning of their fellowship (inquire for more details). However, competitive priority and preference is given to students qualified to enroll in Portuguese, Haitian Creole, or a Latin American indigenous language, either at KU or through an approved foreign language program.


CLACS can also support students intending to study LCTL or indigenous languages offered by foreign program as part of a Student Initiated Program approved by KU Office of Study Abroad. Students are responsible for providing information about the intended program of study if not currently offered at KU. Please note, KU's policy is not to allow student enrollment or travel to countries with a U.S. Federal Government Travel Warning in place, which unfortunately includes several Latin American countries. Non-KU students are able to apply for programs currently offered at KU (inquire for more details).


Applicants, either undergraduate or graduate, must be:

  • a U.S. citizen, national, or permanent resident.
  • enrolled (or accepted for enrollment) as a full-time student at KU or at an accredited American institution of higher learning.
  • studying a KU FLAS approved language (beginner*, intermediate, or advanced).

*Only graduate students can enter at the beginner level, provided the student has achieved advanced proficiency in another language of their world area of expertise and research.

Subscribe to Department News

CLACS Events
Expert's Corner

Read More>>