LAWRENCE — The University of Kansas Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies will host speakers from programs as diverse as health and medicine, the social sciences, the humanities, and international and interdisciplinary studies.
The Spring 2017 Merienda Lecture Series intends to strengthen ties with regional universities such as KU Medical Center and the University of Missouri-Kansas City. The series will showcase speakers working and researching in Latin American countries and Latina/o communities in the United States, continuing KU’s tradition of being a regional resource of Latin American and Caribbean studies.
In the spring, CLACS will welcome:
- Laura Herlihy, lecturer of Latin American & Caribbean studies at KU, who will examine indigenous political and human rights in Nicaragua;
- Paula Cupertino, associate professor of preventative medicine and public health and director of JUNTOS Center for Advancing Latino Health at KU Medical Center, who will discuss health initiatives aimed at addressing disparities in the Latina/o community in Kansas as well as in México and Brazil;
- Clara Irazábal-Zurita, professor of architecture, urban planning & design and director of the Latina/o Studies Program at UMKC, who will explore intersections of culture, politics and peace-making in urban development and socio-spatial justice in Latin American cities and Latina/o immigrant communities;
- Viviana Grieco, associate professor of history at UMKC, who will present research on the political culture of independence in Spanish colonies in Latin America;
- Manuela Gonzalez-Bueno, associate professor of curriculum and teaching, Foreign Language Education at KU, who will present research on Spanish dialectology and sociolinguistics in Latin American countries.
The Merienda Lecture Series is meant to be an informal opportunity to learn, eat and socialize. Please join CLACS at noon on Thursday in 318 Bailey Hall. Lectures are approximately one hour, including Q&A from an audience of students, faculty and staff from around KU and the Lawrence community. Available at each lecture is a complimentary lunch of beans and rice along with refreshments.
The dates are as follows:
• Jan. 19: Laura Herlihy
• Feb. 9: Paula Cupertino
• March 2: Clara Irazábal-Zurita
• April 6: Viviana Grieco
• May 4: Manuela Gonzalez-Bueno
For more information and a schedule of events, please visit latamst.ku.edu or contact Aron Muci at 785-864-4213 or email@example.com.